All documentation to enter the Ride and Stride is at this link:
Ride and Stride is the sponsored event in aid of the Staffordshire Historic Churches Trust. On the second Saturday of September every year, all over England, cyclists and walkers (and drivers) are sponsored to visit churches; and churches open between 10am and 6pm to receive them. Half the money raised is returned to your church to use how you wish; the other half is given in grants to churches of all denominations towards the cost of repairs and maintenance. Ride and Stride is the principal source of income for SHCT. Ride and Stride day is also the best time in the year to visit churches and find them open throughout the day. Would the folk in your church consider getting involved as cyclists and walkers or as welcomers? Some churches which get a lot of visitors even like to sponsor the welcomers for every visitor they clock in.
- 126 churches took part in Staffordshire
- 66 cyclists and walkers were sponsored
- Cyclists/walkers/drivers raised a total of £11,414 half of which has been returned to participating churches. This was an increase of £2,300 on 2017.
- In 2017/18 SHCT made grants totalling £31,000 to churches. Ride and Stride is the biggest source of income for the Trust from which grants can be paid
- The Ride and Stride trophy was won by Steve Hawkins of St Bertelin’s, Stafford, visiting 31 churches. This year, for a change, the trophy will go to the walker who visits most churches
- Some churches have indicated that the Trust can keep all the sponsor money to use in grants. The sponsor form has been amended to allow for this option
- Once again, if people want to take part but find cycling or walking too strenuous they can use public transport or go by car and still be sponsored (but let’s still encourage those who cycle or walk!)
- Ride and Stride day is Saturday September 14th between 10am and 6pm (or as long as you can manage)
- A provisional list of churches taking part will be available by mid-July ; final list in mid-August; latecomers on the website
- There will be large Ride and Stride banners in place at some churches in prominent roadside locations: Barton under Needwood, Hartshill, Croxton, Rolleston on Dove, Gnosall Methodist – photos of riders and walkers against these would be most welcome
- There will be a guided, sponsored walk linking Wombourne (four churches), Himley, Swindon and Trysull. This is open to anyone, not just locals. Starting at Wombourne St Benedict Biscop at 10am and arriving back there about 4.30pm. Fish and chip lunch in Swindon. No need to book for this, just turn up. Please see this flyer for more information.
- Please let me know if you would like to organise a similar walk or cycle ride in your area
- We have leaflets about the work of the Trust: if you could make good use of some (but not to gather dust at the back of church!) please indicate on the registration form (up to a limit of 10)
For more information please contact the Staffordshire county organiser,
Email: John Wallbridge.
Address: 171 Newhampton Road West Wolverhampton WV6 0RP
To register your church to take part this year please download the relevant form and return it as soon as possible
CHURCHES INVOLVED IN 2019
The churches involved are also shown on this map.
National cycle routes are shown in Green.