Ride and Stride -what it is, what you need
The Ride and Stride sponsored event takes place on the second Saturday in September every year in most English
counties. It is now the Trust’s principal source of income. Cyclists and walkers are sponsored to go out and visit churches –and now you can go by public transport or car if riding and striding are too strenuous.Most of the churches are open from 10 am to 6 pm and there will be someone there to welcome you and offer refreshments.
Some churches cannot man the church all day. A few are only able to put the signing-in register in the porch or on the door.
140 churches of all denominations took part last year in Staffordshire – we would love to increase that number. People find it is a wonderful day of fellowship – both for the cyclists and walkers and the folk who open up their churches to receive them. Some churches send out a group of walkers or cyclists and enjoy a picnic together during the day.
Half the money raised by cyclists and walkers is returned to their own church.
If you like visiting churches this is the best day in the whole year (apart from Sundays and Holy Days) to find churches open. A provisional list of churches taking part this year is can be downloaded below.
To take part in the event as a church please use this form R&S-registration-and-order-form-2018
If you are not a member of a church you can still take part; download the sponsorship form, no need to register
The provisional list of churches will be available by late June; the final list in late August; latecomers on the website.
Click to download any materials you need
R&S Final list of churches taking part in 2018 (Word document.)
R&S Final list of churches taking part in 2018 (PDF opens in separate window)
Here is a link to an excellent interactive map of churches taking part in Staffordshire this year. The map was produced by Neil Fairbrother who won the Ride and Stride trophy last year. Many thanks to him! https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jezGiEJss_PWFI8Fy7XY0fE9DCFGbe3r&usp=sharing
- The trophy (a handsome plate) is presented to the cyclist or walker who visits most churches on the day between 10am and 6pm.
- The churches count towards your total only if they are officially taking part in Ride and Stride i.e. they are on the Staffordshire published list.
- We must be able to verify that you have visited the number of churches you claim. This will be done principally through your sponsor form.
- You must be sponsored by at least five people.
- In the event of a tie the winner will be decided firstly by the number of sponsors, secondly, the amount of money raised, thirdly the age of the participant (oldest wins).
- Your sponsor form must be returned by January 31st.
- The presentation will be at the SHCT AGM .
- You cannot win the trophy in two successive years.
- Motorised transport can be used only to get to the start of your walk/ride and to go home from the endpoin