History of the S.H.C.T
The ’Friends of Ancient Staffordshire Churches’ was founded as a charity in 1953 with the aim of making grants for the restoration of churches in the county. Money for this was raised by membership subscriptions and special fundraising efforts.
In 1982 the name was changed to Staffordshire Historic Churches Trust- still including Walsall, Wolverhampton and West Bromwich which in 1974 had become part of the new West Midlands county. In 1987 the annual sponsored cycle ride (later cycle and walk) was inaugurated which led to a significant increase in funds.
In the 60 years since formation 247 churches have been assisted, some more than once. This includes churches of many denominations – Church of England, Methodist, Roman Catholic, United Reformed Church, Quaker, Unitarian, Congregational and Independent.