We organise tours around Churches in our diocese and beyond for which there is a nominal fee. If you would like to join a tour, please download this document .
The following tours are currently organised:
WEDNESDAY 24th JULY
Meeting at 10.00am for 10.30am at
Holy Angels, Hoar Cross DE13 8QR;
All Saints' Newborough;
St Nicholas, Abbots Bromley;
Lunch Break (bring Picnic or Pub Lunch)
St Leonard Blithfield;
St Mary Colton.
Hoar Cross (1870s) masterpiece of architect G.F. Bodley, commissioned by Emily Meynell Ingram, a memorial to her husband killed in a hunting accident. Richly furnished.
Newborough (1901) by Oldrid Scott with slender octagonal Tower & Spire of beauty and originality; Abbots Bromley Classical Tower (1688) Large church much restored and furnished by G.E. Street. Houses the reindeer horns used in the annual Horn Dance. Small RC Church adjacent. Nearby the stately Chapel of Woodard School of SS. Mary & Anne.
Blithfield situated behind the Hall. Access only via church drive off lane at the back of the reservoir NOT down the hall drive. Medieval with much old woodwork and glass. Monuments to the Bagots. 19th C restoration and embellishment by A.W.N. Pugin, G.E. Street and G.F. Bodley.
Colton in attractive setting with low E.E. Tower, the rest largely by G.E. Street (1850). Cup of Tea, Toilet. Car Parking near E.End of church or anywhere on the church driveways- custom is to park on the north side on the side nearest the church as well as at east end. If mobility is an issue it is possible to drive direct to the South entrance. Please keep entrance to Old Rectory (East end) clear and also the green drive to fields between New Rectory and church grounds.
Holy Angels, Hoar Cross
St Nicholas, Abbots Bromley
St Leonard, Blithfield
St mary, Colton
SATURDAY 21ST SEPTEMBER
St Lawrence, Chapel Chorlton (1826) by local architect James Trubshaw;
St Peter, Maer Medieval foundation with early 17th C rebuilding;
SS. Mary & All Saints' Whitmore attractive setting, Church by the Gates to the Hall. Timber framed Bell Turret.
The visit is followed by tea.
St Lawrence, Chapel Chorlton